I am sure that I’m not the only one who has my own set of rules to live by. While watching the movie Zombieland a few weeks ago, I noticed how Ohio (played by Jessie Eisenberg) had made his own set of rules in this movie to help him live in the new world that he found himself in and how living by those rules helped him to survive in a zombie-eat-man world. It got me to thinking: if I were faced with the same situation and had to make up a set of rules in my own life, could I survive in such a changing world? Could I go from “down” to “survive” to “thrive?”
Well, in my own life I have had to do this many times when starting over. A few years ago I went through a series of life-enrichment seminars in the Dallas area called The Road Adventure. In one part, there was someone reading a set of life rules. They were simple things that got us to accept a new life of healing after finally dealing with our past and preparing for a future.
In my own life, I’ve made a few rules for myself, but I’ve found they change as life changes. But even though they may have changed some, they have helped me to grow through the tough times. Let me give you my current set of rules, and I hope they will help you create your own set.
1. The Law of Me. These are my rules; I do not force them on others. This one is tough for anyone who makes rules, but they are for you. Do not hold others to your standards. That’s what Christians call legalism: making your own rules and then being mad at others for not following them. Keep them just for you.
2. Law of Attraction. This is a common subject in the coaching field. Many of the coaches out there help people develop ways to make life attractive to you. Well, in my book, my attraction law is to turn myself into an attractive person so others will want to be with me. This means that when I step into your life you may already have enough friends. I don’t want to force myself on you. Instead I want to be a benefit for you to get what you need. If that is all our friendship becomes, that’s still great.
3. Law of Karma. I like this word, Karma, but it may have a different meaning to you than it does me. I liken it to the words of Matthew in the Bible where he says you will reap what you sow. He says to do things for others and treat people like you want to be treated and when you plant these seeds (as I said above) you receive far more than you give.
4. God Rules. If your faith is different from mine, you might not believe that Jesus is your savior. He is mine. God has complete control of this planet. He can wipe it out or He can cause it to flourish. He is the creator. Now, you must submit to whatever higher authority you have placed in your life. He reigns in my life, and His word, the Bible, tells me if God is for us no one can be against us.
5. Love everyone. See the continued theme? If you want love, love others. No man is my enemy. Yes some people get me upset, but it is the actions I hate, not the person. Yes I have been known to yell when you cut me off in traffic. It’s your action, not you. I love all those who come in contact with me and as you get closer to me the love grows stronger.
6. Let nothing offend you. This only came about after true healing in my life. You cannot make a statement that offends me. Sorry, but I have grown to the point that I have realized life is too short to spend it at odds with other people. I’m going to take my time to enjoy this time here. I choose to forgive you if you’ve hurt me and to do it right away.
7. Be honest. I love to encourage people, but sometimes my words hurt them. If I have a concern, I’m going to tell you. I’m not going to sugar-coat it. You need to hear the truth from someone. Well, I will tell it to you. I’m not going to stop you from doing what you want, but if you ask, you will get my honest opinion.
So, there they are. Rockin’ rules that this Dude lives by. I hope you find your own set of rules and that they will be something for you to lean on while you are growing. If I can help you, your honest answer is just an email away.
Until next time, I’m Tim Gillette, the Rocker Life Coach, telling you to Live, Love and Rock on.